Monday, June 24, 2013

A trip to Tuscany.

Nearly 6 years ago, I was sitting in our quaint Japanese home with my mom and sisters and another tiny little baby girl in my arms; Josh was one continent over, in Italy, to serve as a groomsman in our dear friends Bryan and Aida's wedding. I still remember the conversation we had on the phone when he told me that he was in the most beautiful place in the world...alone. He promised to bring me back to Tuscany one day. I'm not sure either one of us could have envisioned returning in just six short years with four children in tow, but that's what we did this week.
We left Catania on Sunday night on a ferry bound for Naples.   **Along our way a sweet older woman from England said that she just loved Caleb's smile because it was so sweet AND so full of mischief...I have to agree!
Farewell Sicilia!  Soon after departing we nestled into our cabin with 4 bunks (it was cozy!) and enjoyed being rocked to sleep by the Mediterranean waves. (once the kids finally settled down, that is!)
Twelve hours later, we woke up just off the coast of Naples to enjoy the sunrise and the views.  Once we arrived in the port we drove to a large recreational park owned by the military and just outside of the city.  We met our dear friends the Delmars (that we'd known in Norfolk) for a wonderful morning of playing and catching up!  Unfortunately, I never managed to get my camera out...oops!
Also not pictured...the very loooong 5 hour drive between Naples and our apartment in Poggibonsi.  You can imagine just how wonderful it felt to have dinner waiting on the table when we arrived! (it was 9p.m!!!!!)
Josh gets full credit for finding this rustic castle for us to stay in, in the foothills of the Chianti region.  We both remarked that arriving to the cool evening air and a setting like this was one of the highlights of the week!
Mmmm!  Ready for more adventures tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment