Thursday, April 26, 2012

One of Sicily's most celebrated desserts...Cassata Siciliana!

I'm usually quite quick to jump in and try new local foods (especially desserts!), but for some strange reason it took me a year and a half to take my first bite of cassata.   Guess I'm a granite and gelato junky at heart!
  The cassata siciliana consists of round sponge cake moistened with fruit juices or liqueur and layered with ricotta cheese,candied orange peel, and a chocolate or vanilla filling similar to cannoli cream. It is covered with a shell of marzipan, pink and green pastel colored icing, and decorative designs. The cassata is topped with candied fruit such as cherries or slices of citrus fruit characteristic of Sicily.


Truth be told, I have decided that I don't really like ricotta cheese which is a big shame considering there are so many fabulous local desserts that are filled with freshly made ricotta...oh, well...I usually have a group of small sidekicks with me that are happy to help me finish off a tasty treat that I don't like!  I still feel the need to keep trying ricotta filled things just in case my taste buds surprise me and grow up.  

No comments:

Post a Comment